Cleveland Lighthouse


The Cleveland Lighthouse.

No we're not house sitting Cleveland Lighthouse, just exploring the area while we've been in Gumdale.

"In the 1860s, small farming settlements along the south coast of Moreton Bay, including at Cleveland, Victoria Point, Redland Bay and along the Logan and Albert Rivers relied on small ships (coastal steamers) for transport.


Travel by ship could be dangerous as the mudflats and sandbanks in Moreton Bay move and there are rocks. The bay is also very tidal, which meant it gets very shallow, especially close to shore. Cleveland Point was a dangerous spot. Before the lighthouse was built, people living in Cleveland put up small lights to make sure the ships didn’t run aground. These small lights kept getting damaged, and eventually the Queensland Government decided to build a permanent light." Read more here

Children's Park at Cleveland Point

I'd love to stay in a lighthouse one day... like Bell Rock Lighthouse or Muckle Flugga... Kevin says 'no way' but I'm sure I can drag him along - maybe? I've wanted to visit the lighthouses ever since reading 'The Lighthouse Stevensons' by Bella Bathurst. I wonder if some friends would come with me for company... hmmmm.... I think I'd need it, as with my imagination I could scare myself silly in the middle of the night!

A visit to Bell Rock with Bella Bathurst